Sunday, June 8

Birthday Party #1

Much to my surprise we got our act together and got the house presentable within 2 weeks to host a birthday party. My mom, step-dad, grandparents, brothers, sister-in-law and Ben's parents joined us Sun. afternoon for an early dinner.

3 generations and my brothers and grandfather.

Despite the heat, Ben grilled tequila-lime shrimp and chicken kabobs and corn on the cob, while the rest of us stayed inside in the cool air conditioning. He bought an awesome marinade from Williams-Sonoma made with silver tequila agave nectar and balanced by Key lime and lemon juices, roasted jalapeƱos and cracked black peppercorns. Kabobs are my favorite and this marinade was perfect for the summer heat.

Ben grilling the kabobs on the new grill and Jenni with the red plate! The red plate has always been the special cake for any special occassion in our family.

As a sweet ending, Ben made me a Better Than Sex Cake, that I've been craving for months. The cake was a very rich chocolate cake with caramel, whipped topping and heath bars...but that didn't stop me from having a second piece. I also served homemade Key-Lime Pie ice cream.

Finally...the best part of the evening...Presents! My mom and Jim gave me a gift card to Ninth Street Active Feet for new running shoes. Since taking up running, my practically brand new Nike's aren't cutting it and 9th St. specializes in fittings for the perfect shoes. My brother and sister in law, Amanda, gave me a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond as well as Pedegg. My inlaws, Susan and George, also gave me a Bed Bath and Beyond gift card. It'll be nice to finally buy something "pretty" for the house, rather than essentials from Lowe's. And lastly, my grandparents gave Ben and I a little cash for a house-warming gift. I've already received tons of cards, which are displayed on our mantel...we love having a fireplace just for this reason.

Tomorrow is the big birthday...too bad I have to work and know it'll be a hectic day...Mondays always are! We plan to celebrate with my dad and sisters at Lucky 32's.

Thanks everyone for a great birthday celebration and all gifts!

No comments: