Tuesday, December 23

In Your Face....Banana Cake!

Ben and I are obsessed with that phrase and I'm not sure which one of us started it, but it inspired us to have a Banana Cake at our wedding and I've found a recipe that is pretty close to it! Our wedding cake had chocolate buttercream icing, you could subsitute it on this cake, but the plain cream cheese icing was delicious as is. And the best part is it's semi-homemade taking advantage of a boxed cake mix.

We made this for my Mom's Family Christmas this past Saturday. I wish I hadn't eaten so many appetizers of sausage balls, cream cheese ball and crackers, haystacks and chips with texas cavair. Then, followed by Lexington BBQ sandwiches, hushpuppies and fries. I guess I'll have to make this cake again so I can fully savor every bite without forcing the bites in! It got great reviews and I accidentally left out the oil. I'll probably omit the oil next time as well to save a few calories. I think using the banana and sour cream provided enough moisture. Oh and I used pecans instead of walnuts since my mom is allergic to them. Delicious!

Banana-Sour Cream Cake (Kraft Food & Family)

1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 pkg. (16 oz.) powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
1 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped

Heat oven to 350°F. Beat cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream and oil with mixer on low until moistened, scraping bottom of bowl often. Beat on medium 2 min. Pour into greased and floured 13x9-inch pan.

Bake 35 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack.

Beat cream cheese and butter with mixer on medium until blended. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition.

Remove cake from pan. Carefully cut cake crosswise in half using serrated knife. Place 1 cake half, top-side down, on plate; spread top with frosting. Top with remaining cake half, top side up. Frost top and sides. Press nuts onto sides. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments: