Sunday, September 28

A little weekend getaway!

We just returned from a nice weekend in Eastern NC. We went with my family to ECU's family weekend to visit my sister. Since Ben is now a Pirate we've had it on our list to go to a football game this year.


All hotels were booked, so my dad reserved us rooms at a Bed & Breakfast in New Bern. I love New Bern and it's always been a favorite city of mine, with Camp Seafarer so close. We drove down Friday night with a quick dinner stop at Kings BBQ in Kinston. I'm pretty sure we were the only guests at the Harmony House B&B Fri. night. The breakfast was delicious...egg strata, coffee cake, fresh fruit, and homemade toast.



After breakfast we drove to Greenville with my parents. My sister, Sara's sorority was hosting a parent's weekend brunch of their own. We spent the rest of the afternoon tailgating with spread of food. I was so stuffed from 2 breakfasts and lunch. I didn't check the weather right before we left and thought it'd be cool...the temps were in the high 80's and we were sweltering! And being that it is almost Oct. I never thought about sunscreen. So hours in the sun resulted in a nice farmer's sunburn for me. Other than the heat and the Pirates losing, we had a great time.





After the game we headed back to New Bern to find a place for dinner. It wasn't hard to settle on Captain Ratty's. Ben and I shared the biggest mug of Clam Chowder...it was so thick and creamy. For our main course I ordered the catch of the day, blackened salmon on a big salad and Ben got the Cobb Salad. Both we were huge and amazingly fantastic, but we really should have shared.


The day was exhausting and after a quick shower, Ben, me, Sara, Laura and Lillie were fast asleep by 945 in our suite.

Sunday morning's breakfast was even better. The owners, Sookie and Ed, had made homemade french toast casserole with homemade blueberry syrup, coffee cake, homemade granola and fruit. Nothing was open at 1030 when we left, so we took a quick drive by the waterfront and through downtown. I love New Bern and it was really neat to see how much it's grown up since I've been there last. Ben loved it too and mentioned on our drive home how he'd like to go back and stay at the B&B again. I wish we had time to browse all the fun shops and visit the old drug store where Pepsi was born, but we can save that for our next visit.




1 comment:

Just Marianne said...

We went to that Pepsi place when Jim and Alex and I stayed in New Bern when we visited you. I twas pretty cool with all of the memoriblia.