In honor of the Oscar’s tonight and my Mexican craving…we made a Mexican themed dinner complete with Margaritas! I found a simple recipe for Chicken Enchiladas with a 5 star rating and tons of reviews. I have a recipe we’ve used many times in the past that is more salsa-based and I think we enjoyed the new recipe better.
On our weekly grocery shopping trip today we picked up a rotisserie chicken to use, which saves a lot of time and the chicken has tons of flavor. This version was a little drier than I’m used to for enchiladas. Next time I think I’ll top them with extra cheese before baking…anything can be more cheesier!
Chicken Enchiladas (Southern Living)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle green taco sauce
- Toppings: diced tomato, chopped avocado, chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, chopped cilantro
Stir together first 5 ingredients. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Coat tortillas with vegetable cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Stir together sour cream and taco sauce. Spoon over hot enchiladas, and sprinkle with toppings.